Discoveries of new disease affecting the human system has become threat to humans. Cancer is one of the deadly diseases. World Health Organization has recorded cancer as one of the fastest killing diseases in the world. The anxiety that comes with the diagnosis of cancer is as a result of its killing nature. The human body consist of several organs serving as overall propellant of the body. Liver is one of the vital organs in human body. Like the heart the liver has many functions. The liver support life in human. The liver filters the blood from the digestive tract before transporting to various parts of the body. The liver detoxifies substances and purifies the blood. Production of proteins for blood plasma is another function of the liver. Also, the liver aids in the production of bile, stores glycogen, minerals, and vitamins. However, the liver like any other part of the body should be given much attention because the liver is prone to cancer disease.
Men are at high risk of getting liver disease than women. Liver disease is on the rise each day. Liver cancer may begin in the liver known as hepatocellular carcinoma spreads from other parts of the body to the liver is called metastatic liver cancer. Liver cancer may not show early symptoms. Symptoms appear at an advanced stage.
Symptoms of liver cancer
- Jaundice; malfunctioning liver is not able to clear up the substance known as bilirubin. Bilirubin builds up in the eyes and skin and appears yellowish.
- Weight loss
- Abdominal pains
- Loss of appetite or feeling fullness
- Fatigue and weakness
Causes of liver cancer
- Eating a lot meat
- Family history of liver disease
- Diabetes and obesity
- Chronic Hepatitis B and C
- Heavy consumption of alcohol
- Other related liver diseases
- Vaccinate against hepatitis
- Do not share sharp objects or unsterilized object
- Know the health status of your partner
- Drink enough water
- Eating a lot fruits and vegetables
Liver cancer can be diagnosed through blood tests, CT scan, magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), PET, angiograms, and ultrasound tests.