The pace at which coronavirus is increasing in China is becoming more and more paramount. More than 7,800 people including, 7,100 in China have been confirmed to be infected whilst the death toll has also risen to 170 people. This virus has been announced to have spread from Wuhan’s Hubei province to every one of China’s 31 provinces.
The World Health Organization(WHO) on Wednesday said it needs every government around the world to stand up and fight over this particular virus to prevent it from spreading like just the SARS virus did years ago.
A meeting will be held today by WHO on whether to declare this a global health threat.
Updates from different countries are as follows;
- Nearly 200 US citizens evacuated from Wuhan landed at a military base in California on Wednesday, where officials declared them free of symptoms.
- Three people among more than 200 Japanese evacuated from Wuhan have tested positive for the coronavirus, Japan’s health minister said.
- The Chinese Football Association (CFA) has said it would postpone all domestic games in 2020 because of the coronavirus.
- Sweden’s IKEA said it has temporarily closed all its stores in China because of the coronavirus outbreak.
- New Zealand, Singapore and Indonesia have said they making efforts to evacuate their nationals from Wuhan.
- Singapore will provide every one of the country’s 1.3 million households with four surgical masks to curb the spread of the coronavirus, the government said.
- Malaysia’s Ministry of Health said it had confirmed an eighth case of the virus.
- China’s aviation authority has approved chartered flights to bring home from overseas trips some residents of the central city of Wuhan, state television said.
- China’s anti-corruption watchdog said it would severely punish officials who slacked off in fighting the coronavirus.
- South Korean President Moon Jae-in has urged his citizens not to give in to fear as the government prepared to evacuate nationals from Wuhan.
- Australia’s conservative government has defended its decision to use a detention centre thousands of kilometres from the mainland to quarantine locals evacuated from Wuhan.
- China’s agriculture ministry urged feed producers and slaughter houses to speed up the resumption of production, in a bid to increase supplies amid the outbreak.
- El Al Israel Airlines has said it was suspending flights to Beijing until March 25.
- The United Kingdom has delayed a planned evacuation of its citizens from Wuhan because it has not yet got the correct permissions from Chinese authorities for a flight to leave.
- China is confident it can minimise the risks of the virus being transmitted on airplanes and that the small number of cases reported abroad show it is having success in controlling its spread, an official at the civil aviation authority said.
- Philippine health officials have confirmed the first case of the new coronavirus in the country.
- India has reported its first case of the coronavirus in the southern state of Kerala, the government said in a statement.
- Asian stocks and currencies fell as the number of deaths from the coronavirus rose and more cases were reported around the world.
For more updates and information, stay tuned.
SOURCE: AL JAZEERA